Home » Behind-The-Scenes » Have Your Say – The Booking Process

Have Your Say – The Booking Process

We’re constantly trying to improve our service to you, and right now we’re trying to find out how we can improve the booking process on our website. Once you decide to book a holiday it should be a painless, even a fun, process. One way to make that the reality is by making the different options easy and quick to find.

Why not have your say on how this should be done? You’re our customer after all! We’ve put together a small game that will help us hugely.

All you need to do is take a set of cards, each of which represents a piece of information you might need when booking a holiday, then place each card in one of the categories shown on screen. If you feel the categories are wrong or confusing, there’ll be an opportunity to let us know after you’ve sorted the cards.

Why not take 5 minutes to get involved?

Click Here >> http://bit.ly/holidaybooking

You May Also Like

3,504 Responses to “Have Your Say – The Booking Process”

1. Lisa Jane hill

Better search on when looking to go to particular place. I find it hard searching as I travel alone. The links for offers the train company will only let you purchase tickets that are for more than one person. I know you cannot control a rail company.
    Not everyone travels in couples or group I find every year i meet more single travellers.
    Maybe something on if your away to celebrate a birthday etc. most years I go away for my birthday, I know some hotels say what they do for you.
    Overall I think Thomson is the best travel company out there that why i will always pick you. More destinations eg, Croatia, Czech republic holidays, Austria etc .

2. Lesley Williams

I’m not happy with the different information given out by different people working for the same company ref my holiday booking. Was told at the time of booking I could get a 1 week extension on the payment date but when the invoice came in there was no mention of it. Phoned Thomson who did not have a note on the computer reference this. It seems the operators are happy to take the bookings and promise things then don’t deliver what they promise. Not happy at all.

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Lesley, I’m sorry to hear that. We do try to offer payment extensions where possible, however we’re unable to amend the date due on your confirmation. I’m also sorry to hear that a note wasn’t placed on your booking by an advisor. Have you spoken to our Web Team on 0844 871 0878.

3. valerie shaw

Had no problems Booking Holidays on line very happy with long hall flights good seat space meals ok for flight food, in all had no problems with holidays booked and love MY THOMSON DESKTOP ALERT can check and see all my holiday details pay off my holiday book trips and extras.

4. Elaine Lloyd

Lots of problems, first website down, if you look at my facebook comments/e-mails to various departments, you will understand!! I am sure your staff shudder when my name is mentioned!! Anyway, when someone eventually rang me to give me a price after waiting almost a month, the all inclusive hotel that was advertised wasn’t really all inclusive, it was half board with an option to pay an extra fee for your drinks To add to the confusion, First Choice contacted me from my original query with Thomsons and quoted me an All Inclusive price for the same hotel?? All this stems from your website being down when I tried to get a price. I have now booked with Thomas Cook!!!! Also, on your website, on the initial search, if you tick “all inclusive” it also brings up hotels that are only available half board. Some of them have a tick next to them saying all inclusive, but that option isn’t available. I think it would be better if when you searched All Inclusive, only All Inclusive hotels came up with an option offered to look at half board. Or whatever type of holiday you search for, just show those options. Thomsons must think I have nothing to do all day but moan about them, but I honestly can’t believe the hassle I have had just trying to get a price, it has been ongoing for a month now. I am just shocked at how bad the experience has been and I hadn’t even got as far as booking with them. Don’t know why I am offering to help you, probably won’t even book with Thomson again after this, but I suppose it is going to help other customers. PS, I still think I will be in the basement next year as I had already booked to go with your company lol!!

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Elaine, Thanks for sharing your feedback with us regarding the problems you’ve experienced. As mentioned on Facebook, we’re sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and I hope you go on to have a great holiday next year.

• Tina Smythe

I have never in my life had so many problems having booked on line a lot of things got changed, I know I completed the on line form correctly I checked it and my friend checked it before we submitted it – only then were we horrified at the £22.:00 charge for paying by a Credit Card that is just daylight robbery and sheer and utter greed it costs them hardly anything but we poor customers end up shelling out cos they are so greedy . They also state any changes must be notified within 24 hours of booking or there will be charges for changes as we did not get any confirmation of our booking until 24 hours later how on earth were we suppose to get any errors corrected within 24 hours ???? at one point a customer services person said the item may have changed as you scrolled down the page and I pointed out their website should not be able to change anything once you have completed it and if that was happending the web page needs to be fixed and it was their problem if that is happening not mine then after a lot of arguments including a downright and utterly rude customer services person I ended up with a manager who changed the errors with no charge NEVER AGAIN WILL I BOOK EVER BOOK ANYTHING WITH THOMSON

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Tina, I’m really sorry to hear about the experiences you had with us when you booked online. But I’m glad to hear that you were able to speak to a manager who resolved this for you. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us and I’ll make sure its passed on to our Web Team.

5. Ges Southwood

Hi, It would be great if the flight view could be revamped as you cannot view a month or few weeks in one go and it is very touch and go if it allows you to view flights within a few days of each other.
    Hope that makes sense!

6. robin crowson

tried to book a holiday today, lake garda price advertised £555 got to the payment details price £585 ??? rang thomson they said it was a mistake on the website, the price is only for an offer 18/07 to aug 12, the website had made a mistake and they were aware of it, sorry but the price advertised is £555 and several hours after it is still advertised at that, havent booked waiting for a repsonse, thomson attitude was very poor and have checked a trading standards website and it is clear who is right !! sort it out thomson if you want a booking and dont want it taken further

Hi Robin,

I’m sorry to hear you weren’t happy with the response you received from the Lakes and Mountains Team. But thanks for sharing your feedback with us and we’ll make sure its passed on.

7. Tina Mackenzie

Hi, I just wanted to feedback my experience because I’ve always booked Thomson holidays and had some great ones but after the way I’ve been treated today I don’t think I’ll use them again. After having spent a lot of money on their premium rate phone line which I had to phone because even though they had happily sold me “online services” such as reserve your seat these didn’t work on line. The reason why is that I’m on a Thomas Cook flight which Thomson booked me on but didn’t think to mention to me even though they now inform me that everything has to be done through me now contacting Thomas Cook. I have never had the experience of being spoken to by someone in a call centre where I end up in tears and not being able to speak to a manager because according to the call centre worker” they aren’t here this time in the morning”. The irony is that when I was first looking to book flights the Thomas Cook one was cheaper but I thought I’ll go with Thomson instead!

Hi Tina,

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences. Unfortunately when customers do have flights with Thomas Cook, we’re unable to select their seats but your flight details should have been communicated to you at the time of booking. If the booking was made online, this would show on your confirmation and if you booked with one of our Travel Agents this would have been on your paperwork.

If you did want to send any further feedback, you can contact our Pre Travel Team here – http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/contact-us-package-holidays.html

Again I’m sorry for the problems you’ve experienced.

• Elaine firkins

Could not find link to email complaint. So will try this in hope that at least it will be recorded. My 20 yr old daughter arrived yesterday in bodrum turkey. Her and her friend have been placed in a g floor room on a road. Her safety has been compromised as they have had local men on. Yes on. Their balcony already. Thompson and reception were alerted within the hour so far no result. Just to record this if they are in any way harmed due to this utter negligence. Thompson will be held wholly responsible. Elaine Firkins.

8. Liz

Thomson used to be the company all other companies would aspire to. The name still holds a lot of respect with me, but sadly does not live up to anything like its history implies.

I have had such a hell of a time to book a holiday for my family with you. After many an expensive (last bill came to over £5. Am awaiting next months) I gave up having the run around from your ‘call centre team’ in India, being redirected to other premium rate numbers, at one time it came to 7 different numbers, where the whole automated process (and cost) began again.

I have tried to browse your holidays during sleepless nights (mainly due to my holiday booking nightmares I may add) only to find ‘technical difficulties’ where I am now informed that your site is down throughout the night.

I have never found it so hard to spend my £2,500 in any other company!

Thank goodness I finally found one who took my money and actually were happy to provide me and my family with the service we were looking for.

Obviously it was not Thomson Holidays.

I guess everything changes with each generation, but clearly not for the better.

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Liz, I’m sorry to hear about your experiences trying to book a holiday with us. Unfortunately our site is unavailable for maintenance between 1am and 6am every day but I do understand that this can cause problems for our customers who want to book between this period. But thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I’ll make sure your comments are passed on.

9. Allan Barclay

I have booked Thomson Cruises for the past 7 years. I always book early to take advantage of the best offers and this enables Thomson to hold on to my deposit (£350) for up to 15 months before my holiday. I am sure I am not alone. Imagine my horror when after booking my 2013 cruise on 1 May 2012, that the price for the exact same cruise reduced by over£100 less than one month later. Is this seen as good customer service by Thomson? To everyone who normally books early with Thomson – BEWARE. In these times of austerity hang on to your money as long as possible and book as late as you can. I cannot see how Thomson can find this to be a fair way of treating their regular customers. Definately the last time I will book early.

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Allan, I’m sorry to hear that the cost of your holiday has changed since you booked in May. Like most holiday companies, we have flexible pricing so you may find that the cost of your holiday can go up and down in price. And once you’ve booked your holiday, the amount you pay is frozen. So if the cost goes down, you won’t get a refund on the difference and on the other hand if the prices go up, you won’t pay a penny more either. By booking early you guarantee the holiday to suit your requirements as the availability will only decrease the closer you get to departure. Booking early does not always guarantee the best price however will allow you to choose from the widest range of holidays. But again I’m sorry if you’ve been left disappointed by this.

• Allan Barclay

How wrong. Booking early has ALWAYS been most beneficial both to the company and also to the customer. I get the best deal and you get my money 15 months before departure. All you have done is to ensure that I will not book early again. If people follow my example then where will that leave your projections of people’s intentions for the next summer holiday. Extremely poor customer service especially in these times of austerity. As a point of interest I called your call centre today to price a 14 day cruise leaving this Friday. The cost is over £1000 cheaper now than it would have been if I had booked it 6 months ago. No brainer really. Last minute booking here I come. Enjoy Thomson but hate being ripped off.

10. Sara Peters

Problems aren’t when booking, Thomson have always been happy to take your money. Beware if you have a terrible holiday through no fault of your own like we did! What was described by Thomson to be a small kitchen fire at the resort we were travelling to turned out to be a massive fire with a beach restaurant by day, 2 a la carte restaurants by night, completely burnt to the ground, the fire was so strong and the wind high that the fire spread to the spa and swim-up bar which were also burnt to the ground, Thomson laughingly said there was no impact to our holiday services, coupled with the fact that I spent 2 weeks on what should have been a romantic holiday with my husband living in a construction site, we were not best pleased. 4 weeks after my return Thomson still have not had the courtesy to respond to my complaint! Its not the booking service you need to address, you need to make yourself accessible to your customers when things go wrong and you need to put it right!

• Rhiannon@Thomson

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences travelling with us, Sara and that you never received a response from our After Travel Team. The Team have 28 days to respond to any complaints, so you should have received a response from them now. Did you send an email to the team using the online form or did you send a letter by recorded delivery?

11. Kirk broom

I would just like 2 say I have travelled with Thomson many times and never have I ever had a problem! Looking 2 book a holiday for 2013 to Mexico travelled 1miles 2 my nearest thomson branch 2 ask for some books and I get a “what” comment when I walk in and then poor attitude off the lady getting me the right brochure to get home and find out she had given me the complete wrong books! I’m travelling with Thomson to halkadiki this year and I think it will be the last time after this experience!

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Kirk, I’m sorry to hear you were unhappy with the service you received from one of our retail shops. If you could let me know which store this was, I’ll make sure your feedback is passed on to the store.

12. Linda Graham

Shocking customer service, shocking how I want to book a one way flight to be told not available but if you want a return flight its available, a customer wants to buy you dont want to sell, I had already booked three return flights and needed an extra one as my daughters boyfrined wanted to join us, holidays are supposed to be happy relaxing times, not this one with Thomson flights turns into a absolute nightmare, and with excessive telephone charges. Another option i came up with was if I changed one of the tickets into my sons name instead of daughter, and then daughter booked a flight with boyfriend with another airline (because Thomson didnt want to sell me another) to be told oh that will cost you £50 to change Miss to Mr and an initial, in my customer service role I would of offered to change the name free of charge as a goodwill gesture because I was unable to sell a further seat. Needless to say I came across website after website complaining about Thomson, do you have a job for me I could sort out your customer service issues and boost your sales by it!!!! I am as you can see very hurt from my experience when all could of been resolved by me b uying an extra flight, or offer of free name change. Linda

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Linda, I’m sorry to hear you’re unhappy with your booking experience with us. We have a Trading Team in place who set up all our flights so it may have been that we were unable to offer a one way flight to the destination you were travelling to. In regards to our admin charges, there will be charges involved if customers make any changes to their bookings and these are detailed in our terms and conditions which can be found in the back of our brochure and on our website. When customers are making bookings they have to confirm that they’ve read and accepted the terms and conditions before they can continue. I do understand that you’ve been disappointed by your experience and I’ll make sure your feedback is passed on to the relevant departments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on our blog.

13. ASHLEA HAZLEHURST

ASHLEA HAZLEHURST says:23/06/2012 at 09:02

HI I AM VERY UPSET AND REALLY ANGY….. I travel and book my holidays through Thomson every year and never had an issue this year we are going to Egypt. I have made a payment on my holiday and realised the balance is due 29th June, I called in to the local and asked if I was ok to have 1 weeks extention and pay the remaining balance 7th July just 1 week till me and my husband get paid , the lady in the shop said I would be ok and thomson offer extentions, and to call Thomson asap , which I did this morning @ around 9.45am, now I am amazed that the lady on the phone said it wasnt possible , I am so very angry that you all work for the same company and tell customers different info this is very unprofessional, I saw your comment , see below
    “Rhiannon@Thomson says:24/05/2012 at 10:54

Hi Lesley, I’m sorry to hear that. We do try to offer payment extensions where possible, Have you spoken to our Web Team on 0844 871 0878.

So now I know you are able to offer an extention , please can you contact me ASAP email me anytime .

We are asking for 1 weeks extention till 7th July

14. RITA ASPINALL

I have gone through the process of booking a cruise on 13 July with Thomson Majesty for the Adriatic Explorer. I paid with a debit card, but I have not received a confirmation e:mail nor do I have a confirmation number. Therefore I cannot check on its detail. Please contact me as a matter of urgency. Rita Aspinall

15. Beverley Ray

I have just found the same experience as Allan Barclay with early booking of a cruise. I am due to pay the final balance on a cruise around the British Isles which we booked in June 2011 with two ” special offers” of free parking at Harwich and £100 credit onboard. The price last night is £200 cheaper than we paid even without the “special offers” and that is based on a better grade of cabin. I am also very disullusioned with this pricing policy of Thomsons. Most companies offer a price promise in this eventuality and will match the lower price. We have booked a few holidays with Thomsons and have always been very happy with them. But will definitely have second thoughts again with cruise bookings. Feel very upset about this because the special offers are not special offers at all – just a lure to suck you in.

• Amanda @Thomson

Hi Beverley, Like most travel companies we use flexible pricing which means that prices can change at any time. As you know, we will also promote special offers at different times of the year for new bookings. I’m sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with this, but I hope you go on to have an enjoyable cruise.

16. Lisa

We hav just booked an all inclusive holiday to Cuba to find 5 days later it’s £400 cheaper!
    Is this not theft? How is that possible! Daylight robbery!

• Rhiannon@Thomson

Hi Lisa, I’m sorry you feel that way but we do have flexible pricing so the cost of holidays can go up and down in price from time to time.

17. Victoria. B

I booked with thomsons via the Internet early this year, the site wasn’t working properly and I hurriedly refilled in the form to buy our cruise holiday for four people. I miss spelt my surname buy missing our one letter,having booked I rang up straight away, the girl fron thomsons said that’s a £50 charge to change the one letter, I said I booked 3 times a year with thomsons and did that not count for any thing, but she wasn’t bothered. Poor customer services, and certainly not working in the interest of the company, keep it up thomsons , and we just go elsewhere.

• Rhiannon@Thomson

I’m sorry you feel that way, Victoria. Name changes do incur a charge and these will be detailed in our terms and conditions that you need to read and tick to say you agree with at the time of booking. But thanks for sharing your feedback with us and I’ll make sure it’s passed on to our Web Team.

18. Linda Hough

I am a regular customer with Thomson, I have just booked a ‘three week’ holiday to Cuba for 19 February 2013 (Paradisus Rio De Ora, Guardalavaca) in premium. After completing this process I noticed that I could choose our seats ’90 DAYS FROM OUR RETURN DATE’ as we are going for three weeks this puts us at a disadvantage booking our seats, your customers on a one or two week holiday get to book these seats before we get a chance, hence we get whats left!!! Not impressed, as we have paid you a lot of money for this three week holiday and surely we should be treated the same as the customers who are going for just one/two weeks. I feel EVERYONE should be able to book their seats at the same time for the plane going out date…not on your return date!
    I feel this Policy should be changed asap, so customers who are booking longer holidays, and would point out spending more money with you, are not DISCRIMINATED against!
    I look forward to your reply……

• Amarita@Thomson

Hi Linda, I’m sorry you feel that you are at a disadvantage to select your seats. You’re also able to select your seats 90 days before your outbound flight, and then 90 days before your return flight which means you won’t need to wait until a later date to select your seats. If you wish to do this, you’ll need to contact our Thomson Airways Team as this can’t be done online. I’ll also pass your feedback onto the relevant team, and thank you for your comments. ^Amarita

• Linda Hough

Its very interesting that you can’t choose these seats online….which would be FREE….but can telephone Thomson Airways Team on a PREMIUM rate number….yet more money out of the poor suffering public…..You’re not being fair to your customers Thomsons!!!

• Rhiannon@Thomson

I’m sorry you feel that way, Linda but we do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we’ll make sure it’s passed on.

19. Terri M

I always book with TC but this year went with Thomson. Problem after problem since booking with me constantly calling to try & resolve. Tonight had the conversation from hell with Sai Y at the call centre who is the rudest man in the world who told me it was against the law for him to give me his mangers name??? Really, interesting concept. I am supposed to be leaving for the Caribbean in 2 weeks & have spent the night searching for a replacement holiday. I would rather lose almost £5k than risk more of the poor service & ruin my holiday. Never ever again! Poor poor poor.

• Amarita@Thomson

Hi Terri, I’m sorry to hear about that. We do have a process in place where you’re able to speak to a team leader if one is present, unfortunately, if a team leader isn’t present we can’t offer this. I’ll pass your feedback onto the relevant team, and thanks for your comments. ^Amarita

20. Steve Gray

What happened to the desktop alert ??
    I used it …LOADS… last year

• Amarita@Thomson

Hi Steve, I’m sorry that our desktop alert isn’t available anymore. Thank you for your comments and I’ll pass your feedback on regarding this.

21. Sara Stanley

I recently booked a holiday with you for me and my mum and after receiving the booking confirmation I saw that my mums title was correct but mine was shown as Mr, was disgusted to be told that I would have to pay to change this. I checked with several airlines (customer service departments) and have been told by all that the title is irrelevant and that as long as your name appears as it does in your passport or whichever ID you will be using to travel that this is all that counts.

• Rhiannon@Thomson

I’m sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with our amendment charges, Sara. Was this booking made online or with a Travel Agent and did you contact us as soon as the booking confirmation arrived?

22. Karen Higgins

I have an ongoing complaint with Thomson who are supposed to respond to the customer within 28 days. After 14 days I chased on 6th July and was promised a response within the next 14 days, nothing received, phoned again on Saturday 21st July and was promised a telephone call on Monday 23rd July but again no call, looks like I will have to phone again. Seems that once they have your money and things go wrong, customer service is thrown out of the window. Letter to Chairman on it’s way.

• Rhiannon@Thomson

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had problems getting a response from our After Travel Team, Karen. As this comment was posted on 24th, has this now been resolved?

23. Michelle read

Y are the flights on the 27th oct 2012 cheaper in the afternoon than the morning I would really like to travel in the morning can u tell me when the flight are going to drop in price many thanks

• Amarita@Thomson

Hi Michelle, Flight prices can vary based on customer demand. The morning flights may be more expensive as these are more popular. Our prices can change at anytime, so I’m unable to advise when the price will drop. I’d suggest that you keep an eye on our website to monitor the prices. ^Amarita

24. Lilian Potter

Will my desktop alert tell me when I can select my seat number.

• Amarita@Thomson

Hi Lillian, The desktop alert doesn’t tell you when you can select your seat number. You can select your seat numbers 90 days prior to your return on our FlightExtra’s website – http://www.flightextras.thomson.co.uk. You should also receive an email letting you know when you can select your seats.

25. SC Taylor

i have recentlybooked a holiday to Kenya with a large group (12 in total) and you have changed the airport from manchester to gatwick as well as the date. Each time i try and speak to someone regarding this at branch i am told they do not have permission to talk to me about it as i am not the lead passenger. They are willing to take my money over the desk, i have asked for a room upgrade and again are told they cant speak to me regarding this. Just because i have booked in a group does not mean any less, it is still my holiday and i want to make sure it is what i want after all i am the one who is paying for the holiday. Is it common to change the airports (Gatwick is over 180 miles away) and offer no compensation or goodwill jesture?? I am very disappointed with the service i have recieved and when i am spending £3600 i expect to be able to talk about my own holiday and decide what kind of room i am staying in if i wish to upgrade.

• Amarita@Thomson

Hi Stephanie, I’m sorry that you’re not happy with the service which you’ve received. When you make a booking online, or in a travel shop, the lead passenger on the booking is the leader of the booking and is the only one that can actually deal with the booking. Other passenger’s can make payments, however they’re not allowed to make any amendments. This is due to data protection reasons. I’m sure if the lead passenger enquired about a room upgrade for you, the travel shop will be able to help you. Sometimes our flights can be affected by a Programme Change for many reasons, and if this does happen we can change the airport. Unfortunately, I can’t give you information about whether any compensation should’ve been given to you, but if you do want further information about the change, please contact our Programme Change Team on 0844 654 1310.