Home » Holidays » Top Food Festivals From Around The World

Top Food Festivals From Around The World

Food, glorious food. Yep, we all love nothing more than stuffing our faces with the finest culinary treats – and worrying about the calories later. So here’s a round-up of our favourite food festivals from around the globe…

Great British Food Festival

Where better to start than good old Blighty? After decades of haughty snorts of derision from our continental counterparts, the British food scene is finally thriving. The Great British Food Festival is a celebration of everything tasty about Britain. Running from July to September, it sees over 80 of the country’s top local and artisan producers come together to showcase their best stomach-rumbling treats. Throw in a generous helping of real ale and wine bars, kids’ cookery lessons and chef demos from the likes of Great British Bake Off finalists Howard Middleton and Luis Troyano, and Masterchef’s Luke Owen. Serve with excellent live music for a family day out.

San Miniato’s Truffle Fair

Tuscany – think rolling hills, lush vineyards and the leaning tower of Pisa. But it’s also home to San Miniato, a small town in the Pisa province, which plays host to its own Truffle Fair each year. Widely regarded a delicious and rare delicacy, over 25 percent of Italy’s white truffles are produced here. So, on the second, third and fourth weekends in November, the town comes alive to celebrate. Expect theatre performances, displays, fine dining in palazzi and restaurants, and even marching bands.

white-truffles

National Gastronomy Festival

Why not enjoy the delights of authentic Portuguese cuisine at the nation’s standout occasion for foodies, the National Gastronomy Festival? Beginning over 30 years ago as a friendly gathering of just a handful of restaurateurs from neigbouring provinces, the Santarém festival, spanning October and November, is now serious business. Feast on freshly-smoked ham and sample regional cheeses. Finish off with almond and cinnamon cakes and Pasteis de Nata, delicious little custard cakes. Best leave the belt at home…

Orotina Fruit Festival

Found at the foot of the Avocado Mountains, Orotina is perfectly placed for a fruit festival. A typical agricultural Costa Rican town, the ‘City of Fruits’ attracts visitors from around the world who flock each March to enjoy open-air fruit markets, parties, a horse parade and many other festivities in honour of its agricultural heritage. Who said a food festival couldn’t be healthy? Blokes will want to ensure they arrive in time for the Miss International Fruits Pageant, in which 10 young women from Alajuela province compete for the crown.

fruit-stall

La Tomatina

This one comes with a slight difference to the rest. Food very much remains the focal point of this Spanish festival. The only difference is, it’s less about eating and more about the childish fun of throwing it. Buñol plays host to one of the world’s largest food fights, La Tomatina, a long-standing tradition that’s taken place since 1945. Goggle up and join thousands of revellers who flock from all over the globe to chuck over 150,000 tomatoes at each other from trucks and buckets lining the streets. Catch it on the last Wednesday of August each year.

Which foodie festival would you pick?

You May Also Like

118 Responses to “Top Food Festivals From Around The World”

1. paul seabridge

its no good telling me how brilliant it is, why isnt there a link to the check in ???????

2. owen mcloughlin

I would like a telephone number or and email address where I can actually communicate with somebody who is interested in my issues

3. Lewis Wymer

I fly to sharm el sheikh next Friday the 3rd of July, from Newcastle airport, I am in serious concern as to wether it is safe to fly to this destination due to the Tunisia attacks today. Thanks

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Lewis, We understand customers may be concerned about their holiday following the tragic events in Tunisia. We would like to reassure customers that their safety remains our top priority. We have updated our booking conditions for Tunisia departures based on the situation, but for all other destinations we operate to we continue to closely follow Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice and normal booking conditions apply.

4. Jay

I have booked a holiday with my partner to Tunisia for August. Is it possible to be fully refunded as the terror attacks are taking place and tourists are being targeted.

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Jay, We’ve extended free cancellation of all our holidays to Tunisia up to and including the 9th July. Customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

5. Severine Thompson

I am ver y worried now after hearing about another terrorist attack in Tunisia. I have booked and paid for a holiday to Yasmine Hammamet in September. Can I change the destination at no extra cost or do I have to lose my holiday?

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Severine, Customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

6. Sarah

We fly to tunisia on 19th, no way I’m taking my 9yr old there!!!! Can we change our holiday?

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Sarah, Customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

7. Scott

Hi I’m going to tunisa on 26th July with my family and paid for it can I change my destination as I dint want to go there …..thanks scott

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Scott, Customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

8. Fiona Coad

We have booked a holiday in Tunisia, leaving on the 5th july. We are understandably worried about the safety of the country and do not wish to put ourselves at risk. What are you offering customers as an alternative?

Thomas Cook are giving customers the chance to cancel or adjust their holidays free of charge, you don’t seem to have any information about your decisions in this situation ad feel very ill informed.

Please could you give me some more information.

Kr
    Fiona Coad

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Fiona, We’ll be extending the cancellation of all our holidays to Tunisia up to and including the 9th July. Customers travelling to Tunisia in this period will be given the opportunity to amend their holiday free of charge to any of our destinations or receive a full refund. Furthermore, customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

9. Mark

please can someone tell us where we stand regarding refunds and holidaying elswhere

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Mark, We’ll be extending the cancellation of all our holidays to Tunisia up to and including the 9th July. Customers travelling to Tunisia in this period will be given the opportunity to amend their holiday free of charge to any of our destinations or receive a full refund. Furthermore, customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

10. Diane

Just wanted to say really impressed with your response is to the incident in Tunisia , absolutely fantastic care ! Have the upmost confidence to book with TUI again !

11. Fran Bradshaw

We have been trying to call all morning and left listening to music waiting.
    URGENT the on hold music is totally inappropriate and needs changing ASAP it’s Queens Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics “…Mama just killed a man, put a gun against his head pulled the trigger now he’s dead”

I realise that at this time it isn’t your priority but it may upset people waiting to hear about their loved ones.

• Gemma Walters

Hi Fran, Thank you for your post. We were made aware of this and this was raised. Thank you ^Gemma

12. Dawn

I am due o fly to Tunisia on August 19th and am not happy with flying there now after the recent terrorist attacks. I have heard that I will be able to change my holiday but does this mean I wont have to pay much more money than I already have?

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Dawn, Customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations. If the new holiday is more expensive than the original, customers will be required to pay the difference. If the holiday is cheaper then a refund will be applied.

13. Clarine Powell

Flight ref 630998
    My partners surname is Matthews, which is shown on the booking confirmation. I have just checked in on line and the boarding pass is showing his surname as Matthew with no ‘S’ is this going to cause a problem when we get to Birmingham airport.?

• Gemma Walters

Hi Clarine, This will need to be amended to match his passport. Please email us at cares@thomson.co.uk so we can contact you and get this amended. Thank you ^Gemma

14. mr scott

not concerned at the moment as we are not due to go until September.But will it be a long or short deal that you are offering for other places to go?Been to Tunisia twice and had a fantastic time and would like to go again but if the case is we cant so be it…..hope all goes well and my deepest sympathy to all of those caught up in this.

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi David, Our change of policy is for the foreseeable future. We are working closely with the FCO to constantly monitor the situation in Tunisia. As it stands, the FCO are not advising against all travel to Tunisia and therefore holidaymakers who want to continue their holiday can do so as planned and return on their scheduled flights.

15. robin

Hi me and my children are still concerned about our holiday to tunisia and we would like to know what is going to happen because other tour operators have suspended flights until Oct also my children are getting worried that will happen to them many thanks robin

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Robin, Customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

16. dean

I am due to go to tunisia may 2016 I have to pay my full deposit on 9th july 2015 I want to change destination I am going will this be able to be done ?

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi Dean, At present, customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations. Holidays after this date will be subject to normal booking Terms and Conditions.

17. James Drummond

Thomsons refusal to give me my money back for my holiday to the Riu Imperial Marhaba on he 2nd of August is absolutely disgusting and I am extremely upset by this. There is absolutely no way my partner and I will be visiting Tunisia in the near future. We are not looking for an alternative hotel or resort anywhere else and to be charged £50 per person to have this amended is also disgusting. I hope your proud of how you conduct you business.

• Chantelle Sambrook

Hi James, Customers planning to travel to Tunisia at any time up until the end of the summer season (31st October) will be able to amend their holidays free of charge to any of our destinations.

18. Pamela Donaghy

Hi we went and cancelled are tunisian holiday today I understand Thomson has cancelled Al flights to Tunisia at the present time.We booked an alternative holiday and we got 50 pound per person refund.We were looking forward to go again but safety first.

19. Mrs hutchinson

Changed my booking to Tunisia on sept 13th yesterday and charged £50 each .is that correct?

• Melanie James

Hello Mrs Hutchinson, If you have been charged admin fees to make an amendment to a Tunisia booking please email directorsholidaychange@thomson.co.uk with details of the original and new booking reference and lead passenger and the fees will be removed from the booking and refunded. This will be actioned within 14 days of receiving the email. I hope this helps.

• Daniel Oneill

Hello Karen, This is optional. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have advised that we can still travel to Tunisia. I will add that passenger’s safety is of great paramount. We are allowing passengers to change destinations for those travelling before the 31st of October with change fees waived, but I must make you aware any difference in fare would need to be paid. ^Daniel

20. Mrs Holmes

Hi We are booked to go to Turkey in September and are worried re the recent events and the possible increased risk if the government go ahead with the attacks on Syria and possible repercussions..

Will we also be able to change our holiday without charge?

• Melanie James

Hello Mrs Holmes, Currently the FCO advice for Turkey has not changed so normal booking terms and conditions will apply if you wish to make any changes.

21. Kirsty

Hi, with Egypt and Turkey also being put at risk are we able to amend these? I’m booked to go to Egypt on a family holiday and feel worried sick, paid extra for the family resort where I won’t allow my child to Attend any children clubs etc, feel stuck

• Melanie James

Hello Kirsty, Currently for Egypt and Turkey the FCO advice has not changed so normal booking terms and conditions will apply if you wished to make any amendments.

22. Saiqa

Hi all,

I am flying on 30th of July worried sick as we are going to gamma met splash world but feeling stressed out with the current situation as it will not die out in few weeks.
    Thomson the oldham branch have not been helpful what so ever trying to swap me a basic holiday with extra charge. I was told 1260 was my cancellation fee which disgusts me as people should be allowed to cancel with no extra charge or money loss. No way am I going especially with the ids they are terrified of travelling and would rather not go as this is a sensitive topic and has been discussed at schools.its just not safe and thompsons should understand this and the safety and welfare of families especially children.

23. Kate

Hi im due to be goin to Turkey in Sept..if i wanted to change what would the charges be???

• Hayley Pattison

Hi Kate, Currently for Egypt and Turkey the FCO advice has not changed so normal booking terms and conditions will apply if you wished to make any amendments. ^Hayley

24. Harvey

HI, We are due to go to Tunisia in May 2016, Can i ask if there is chance you will be extending your free fee for changing holiday destinations for this date in the near future?, As it stands now it will cost us £50.00 pp to change from Tunisia this means an extra £500 for us!!. When talking to one of your staff in our local Thomson’s shop she advised us to hold fire regarding changing as she expects the free cancellation date to be extended in the very near future. Regards, Harvey.

• Hayley Pattison

Hi Harvey, We are constantly reviewing the situation. If you speak to your local shop they’ll be able to inform you if this changes for the future. ^Hayley

• Harvey

HI, Thank you for your rapid reply, Just one more question if you please. I have booked my holiday with Thomson for Tunisia for 2016, We are going to change this and are aware it is £50.00 pp to change but before i change would i be allowed to change my holiday to a First Choice holiday from one of there Brochures or online seeing as they are both the same Company?. Thanks again, Harvey.

• Hayley Pattison

Hi Harvey, Yes you will be able to amend this to a First Choice holiday. ^Hayley

• Kerrie manley

Hayley,

Could you advise, we are due to go to sousse this Sunday, can we get a full refund?

Thanks
      Kerrie

• Hayley Pattison

Hi Kerrie, We’re only offering full refunds to passengers travelling to Tunisia up until the 9th July. You are able to amend your holiday to a different destination free of charge by visiting your local Thomson shop or by contacting our customer service centre on 0800 009 3835 or 020 3636 1996. ^Hayley